Re: Current shorebird habitat
posted by Michael Halstead on August 5, 2013 at 22:18:33
posted by Jim Rettig on August 7, 2013 at 12:58:48
posted by Brian Wulker on August 7, 2013 at 21:23:06

Current shorebird habitat
        posted by David Brinkman on July 21, 2013 at 16:31:31
Some years ago Joe Hammond had a website where he kept track of reports, positive and negative, of shorebird habitat conditions throughout the state of Ohio. That website is, to my knowledge, no longer in service. However, it would be nice to keep track of current shorebird habitat conditions here in the Cincinnati tri-state for local birders to peruse. Details of habitat might include: water levels, extent of exposed mudflats, whether vegetation obscures viewing opportunities, access, etc.
So I will be begin by listing what I know as of this post. Subsequent posts can reply to this message with updates.

Monday 7/15 - Oxbow, Lawrenceburg, IN - high water levels at Osprey Lake and Old Channel Lake.
Lost Bridge - many shorebirds, extensive mudflats.
Shawnee Lookout Boat Ramp - muddy parking lot, no shorebirds. Has attracted peeps and Solitary Sandpipers in the past.

Sunday 7/21 - Lost Bridge is very productive. See sightings log for recent reports.
        Reply         Top of Page

posted by Brian Wulker on July 22, 2013 at 15:25:43
There has also been a few mudflats at Fernald. Most are out of public access, but there is a pond near the 1st bend in Hickory Trail that's had some activity on it last week. It could still be productive this week depending on how much rain moves through. The biowetland also has had some mud and birds, but also lots of aquatic vegetation.

posted by Kathi Hutton on July 23, 2013 at 08:57:06
Thanks for this thread. I hope to get in more shorebirding this fall, and I would be grateful for any habitat tips and suggestions.

posted by David Brinkman on July 24, 2013 at 09:12:55
Yesterday, 7/23, at Fernald, I had 4 killddeer, 3 Solitary and 1 Pectoral at the Biowetlands pond. There is a lot of tall vegetation there obscuring views, and a few of the birds flew up from the near side of the pond, closest to the observation deck, where I was unable to see if anything else was foraging on the near side. Even in the middle is tall vegetation where these birds landed, making viewing currently difficult if not impossible.

posted by Allan Claybon on July 24, 2013 at 19:58:10
7/24 Hueston Woods Mudflat Area - none, water too high. Did see the Juvenile Bald Eagle out of the nest in the cove, an adult eagle, several Great Blue Herons and Double-crested Cormorants, along with lots of Canada Geese and Ring-billed Gulls.
7/24 Brookville Lake along Treaty Line Road - no shorebirds, water too high. Saw 2 Great Egrets, dozens of Great Blue Herons, 2 Wood Ducks, Double-crested Cormorants, 1 adult and 1 Juvenile Bald Eagle. 2 adult Ospreys on the platform on Brownsville Road and the behavior suggested young birds but I was unable to see them.

posted by David Brinkman on July 25, 2013 at 14:36:43
7/25

Ellis Lake - shorebird area is dried up, no mudflats, overgrown with tall vegetation.

VOA athletic fields - area that was productive last May is dried up, overgrown with tall vegetation.

posted by Maddie Varias on July 25, 2013 at 18:27:28
Armleder- way to overgrown to see anything. Even though it is overgrown, I still think there is good shorebird habitat in the been field. When I went there yesterday I saw some Killdeer fly to the been field. I would not be surprised if there were other shorebird species there.

posted by David Brinkman on August 3, 2013 at 11:26:22
Jen Brumfield has posted current shorebirding opportunities, both positive and negative, throughout the state of Ohio at:

http://northnw.wordpress.com/

posted by Ann Oliver on August 5, 2013 at 05:41:56
Jen Brumfield also has a Facebook page called "Shorebirds of Ohio 2013" for reports of conditions and sightings.

posted by Michael Halstead on August 5, 2013 at 22:18:33
Monday 8/5 - Zoo Wetlands - Hamilton Road and Mason Montgomery intersection

Main pond has shallow water and exposed mud - can be seen from the road

Smaller pond near the front is overgrown with vegetation and cannot be seen from the road

Back ponds has lots of vegetation but was able to see from Hamilton Road driving east.

posted by Jim Rettig on August 7, 2013 at 12:58:48
Camp Dennison Pits. Very little shorebird habitat, and only one killdeer present. 85 purple martins on power lines.

posted by Brian Wulker on August 7, 2013 at 21:23:06
There are some decent looking mudflats at gulf community park in Cleves. This is just down the road from lost bridge. Along the entrance road off US 50, theres a pull off where you can slip through the woods and view an old shallow gravel pit. Haven't had many birds yet, but the mud looks good.

Comments? Suggestions?
Let me know!
Ned Keller, comments03@cincinnatibirds.com